Updates regarding Business Processes, Training, and Helpful Hints
As Employee Travel & Reimbursement (ET&R) continues to evaluate opportunities to streamline business processes and offer training opportunities in partnership with our colleagues from the Office of Education for Research Administration and Finance, we would like to take an opportunity to provide the following updates and reminders.
Corporate Card Expense Report Policies
We will be reinstating the Corporate Card Policy for untimely postings. You may recall that this policy has been in place since calendar year 2016. During calendar year 2020 and the prior months of this year, we suspended the policy in light of everyone’s focus on COVID responses, including the transition to remote work, reduced spend, along with other priority initiatives. This reinstatement will affect all card transactions that are untimely beginning with the July 2021 untimely posting. We have included links to the policy and addendum below.
Please note that a number of departments have elected to implement more stringent policies. Please consult with your business manager to confirm your departmental strategy.
In support of the untimely posting process, ET&R will reinstate the cardholder email notification of unassigned corporate card transactions effective Wednesday, September 1, 2021. Notifications will be sent to cardholders on the first Wednesday of the month. The notification will include a list of unassigned transactions for the untimely posting period referenced in the email.
Reminders and Helpful Tips
As a supplement to the online resources and our Customer Service team, we have included some helpful tips below based upon frequently asked questions.
- In order to clear corporate card charges or create a reimbursement on behalf of another employee, an Expense Delegate must select the option to “Act on behalf of the employee” before starting an expense report.
- In some instances, it may be necessary to “recall” an expense report from workflow once it has been submitted. It is important to note: An expense report CAN ONLY be recalled by the employee. Expense Delegates cannot recall an expense report on behalf of the employee.
- Employees cannot assign their own expense delegates in Concur. Updates (adds/deletes) should be submitted to Employee Travel & Reimbursement by the Business Manager or designee using the Expense Delegate Spreadsheet. https://finance.duke.edu/travel/forms
- In the event a receipt cannot be obtained/duplicated or the receipt is lost, the employee must submit a Missing Receipt Affidavit through Concur in lieu of providing the actual receipt. Please note that this should be an infrequent occurrence. The Missing Receipt Affidavit replaced the Paper Missing Receipt form in Duke@Work. For additional information, please reference the quick reference guide located at https://concur.duke.edu/sites/default/files/Missing%20A%20Receipt%20QRG%203.2.2020.pdf
- The status of an expense report can be viewed by accessing the Approval Flow and Audit History found under the Details tab in the expense report.
- For assistance with updating workflow, please reference the QRG Updating Workflow located at https://concur.duke.edu/sites/default/files/Workflow%20QRG%207.19.2021.pdf
- As a reminder, please bundle corporate card transactions as much as possible. You can allocate expenses to multiple funding sources within the same expense report and all funding sources will route to the applicable funding approver.
- If a missing receipt error is triggered in Concur – the error will not disappear, even after the employee or delegate attaches the receipt. The red error is reevaluated once the employee clicks on the Submit Report button.
- Trip itineraries cannot be deleted from Concur. For more information when trip itineraries will be automatically integrated into Concur, please refer to the User Awareness Guidelines for the TripIt App on the concur.duke.edu website under the Getting Started section.
- Please pay special attention to the Pending Card Transaction Payment Type and Alert. This means the expense is a corporate card charge and should not be submitted as an Out of Pocket expense. In addition, this means the charge has not been posted to Concur.
Upcoming Training Sessions
Please save the date for the upcoming training sessions listed below. Registration information will be distributed in the coming weeks.
Approving Expense Reports
This session will provide a review of the process for reviewing and approving expense reports, including ensuring proper documentation, cost allocations, leveraging the tool for efficiencies, etc.
Save the Date: Friday, October 1, 2021 – 9:00 am – 10:00 am
Audience: Departmental, Funding, Management Center Approvers
This session will include a detailed review of managing the data included in the Assigned and Unassigned reports. As a reminder, these reports are distributed on a weekly basis to TRaC representatives and on a monthly basis to business managers and management centers.
Save the Date: Friday, September 17, 2021 – 9:00am – 10:00am
Audience: Anyone who receives this report automatically or through department distribution channels
Reporting Session for Concur Transactions
This session will highlight a number of the reports available in Concur. These reports will assist business managers with oversight of departmental spending and compliance with institutional policies.
Save the Date: Wednesday, September 29, 2021 – 10:00am - 11:00am
Audience: Business Managers and others who have the reporting roles assigned in Concur
If you have general questions related to the policy or addendum, please feel free to contact the Employee Travel and Reimbursement team at 668-3877 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We appreciate your continued partnership and support.