- Financial Certification Program
- Procure to Pay Specialist
- Certified Procure to Pay Specialist Advantages
Certified Procure to Pay Specialist Advantages
Upon receipt of the Certified Procure to Pay Specialist Certificate within the institution's Financial Certification Program, recipients will have the skills to:
- Understand key terminology in order to better communicate accounts payable information within the department and between the department and corporate functions.
- Understand the different methods of procuring goods and services at Duke University or Duke University Health System (DUHS).
- Understand the roles and responsibilities of different departments who are involved in procuring and/or paying for goods/services.
- Understand supporting documentation requirements necessary to do any of the following:
- Establish a requisition/Created a Buy@Duke shopping cart
- Pay a vendor
- Issue an AP check via an AP check request
- Improve decision making when determining which procurement method is most appropriate.
- Apply guidance and compliance requirements defined in General Accounting Procures (GAPs) as they apply to procuring and paying for goods/services.
- Understand the federal/state compliance requirements that apply to invoice payments and how these impact Duke’s policies and procedures.
- Access information in SAP to understand the status of an invoice payment.
- Understand the communication tools used to address problem invoices and the appropriate steps to take based up the type of notification received.
- SAP Workflow
- APay Reply
- Apply a variety of different strategies to access information in SAP based upon the information on hand.
- Particular focus given to numerous SAP transactions
- Apply General Ledger accounting to goods/services expenses.
- Understand the basics of Duke's Accounting Structure.
- Understand the variety of different types of purchase orders that can be established and specifics about each type of order.
- Understand how to process an AP Check Request including permissibility and processing requirements.
- Understand the complexity of issuing payments to Foreign Nationals.
- Understand the specifics of issuing payments to Foreign Companies particularly when the purchase is for a service.
- Understand how to establish a purchase order using either electronic requisitioning through SAP or using paper requisitions.
- Understand the compliance and reporting requirements that must be followed when making the determination if an individual should be paid as an employee or an independent contractor.
- Discuss and review tools designed to help departments determine if an individual should be an employee or an independent contractor
- Employee vs. Independent Contractor Determination Matrix
- The Independent Contractor Checklist
- The Short-term Hire Matrix
- Understand the process for goods receipt and the impacts of goods receipt on how something pays and posts.*
*Only applies to individuals in departments currently using goods receipt.
This certification does not provide a recipient with the following:
- Detailed understanding of specific departmental policies and/or procedures applicable to the procuring of goods/services.