Frequently Asked Questions
Acquiring Surplus Property
Duke does not offer a public access retail store. Approved non-profit organizations and Duke Staff may visit the Surplus Donation Site at specified times. Please email Surplus to request the current donation calendar or check the availability of a specific item.
If you have a need for computers or electronic equipment to be used in your department or for your non-profit organization, please email Surplus.
Visitation to the Surplus Donation Site is limited and scheduled on a monthly basis. The majority of available items include office and school related furnishings. We do not have a list of available items, as our inventory changes every day. Duke departments may view medical and research surplus by appointment only. Please email Surplus to request the current donation calendar or schedule an appointment to view medical and research surplus. Surplus property will be provided for Duke department use at no charge.
Disposing Of Surplus Property
Please contact Surplus for assistance adding new users to your department’s profile.
No. All surplus should be logged into the Online Surplus Asset Disposition Tool for collection with an indication of whether or not the item is working within the tool. Once on-site, the best disposal method will be determined according to mandated environmental regulations. If you are unsure about how an item should be disposed of, please contact Surplus.
Surplus Computer Information
Improperly entered orders will be handled in the following manner:
- Incorrect serial number: Noted and changed via the Collection Discrepancy Report
- Incorrect type of item: Noted and changed via the Collection Discrepancy Report
- Duplicate items: Noted and changed via the Collection Discrepancy Report
- Missing serial numbers: Requestor is asked to re-enter request
- Major discrepancy: Department is asked to re-enter and re-submit the order
Sales, Trades, And Transfers Of Vehicles And Specialized/Capital Equipment
Scheduling Pick-Ups And Associated Fees
- Up to 6 items that can be handled by 2 men and a truck over the next 2 weeks: No Charge
- Computers and like items with the ability to store data are picked up ONLY by Duke Staff within two weeks* of request: No Charge
- Over six surplus items, oversized items, items located off the university and medical campus, and items outside of Durham county: Regular vendor rates apply
- Expedited service: Regular vendor rates apply