Receipts & Documentation

When filing a Travel Expense Form, the individual should attach original receipts for all expenses incurred during a trip. Receipts for Corporate Card transactions should not be turned in with the Travel Expense Form. The departmental Corporate Card administrator is responsible for keeping all Corporate Card receipts.

The following list indicates the type of documentation that should be submitted with the Travel Expense Form.

  • Air/rail/bus
    Original ticket stub/passenger receipt coupon or airline receipt if ticketless travel (proof of purchase and boarding passes are required when passenger receipt coupon is not available)
  • Rental car
    Original itemized receipt/contract showing itemization of charges
  • Hotel/motel
    Original folio showing itemization of charges
  • Registration fees
    Receipt, cancelled check or registration confirmation form indicating payment of registration fees. Employees may be reimbursed for registration fees prior to attending the conference.
  • Meals
    Original itemized receipts for all meals
  • Other expenses
    Original receipts

Lost or Missing Receipts

If a receipt is lost, or for the rare occasions when a receipt could not be obtained (i.e. meal from a street vendor), the traveler should complete a Lost Receipt Form. The use of this form is on a limited, exception basis only. The lost receipt form should only be used when a duplicate receipt cannot be obtained. The lost receipt form should not be used for the following expenses:

  • Airfare
  • Hotel/lodging
  • Registration/membership fees
  • Rental car
  • Local restaurants or vendors where a duplicate receipt can be obtained

Group Travel

If a group of individuals are traveling on behalf of Duke, the expenses may be incurred by one person. When requesting reimbursement, the Group Travel form and an explanation should be attached to the reimbursement form. Itemize all individuals involved and their business purpose for travel.