Current Training Opportunities
The LMS and finding courses:
Training administered by the Office of Education for Research Adminsitraiton and Finance (OERAF) in support of Duke University research administrators can be found in the Duke Learning Management System (LMS). Registration for all classes is in the Duke LMS. The links below will take you to the LMS registration page for each course.
Training on using the LMS is found online.
LMS Tip: if you would like to search for a course in the LMS that counts for Duke RCC Continuing Education Credit hours, you can use the advanced search function in the LMS catalog to search by either of the following fields:
- Field of Study: search for "Duke RCC Cont Ed Credits"
- Category: Search for "Research Administration"
You can also check the "Associated Learning" tab within a course to see if "Duke RCC Cont Ed Credits" are listed under the Continuing Education section.
For all RAA, AGM, RAI, FCC certified employees:
Those with a certification must earn 10 continuing education credits for FY21 and attend any Management of Selected Post Award Issues sessions, throughout the fiscal year (7/1 – 6/30) to maintain certification.
(The intended audience for these courses includes those who are new to research administration or new to the pre-award or post-award functions of research administration.)
- QuickStart in Research Administration (does not qualify for continuing education credit)
Continuing Education Classes
All classes listed below are included in the Duke specific compliance, systems, and business process training that support Duke research administrators continuing education category.
- A Grant Manager’s Guide to Purchase Orders and Invoices – Session 1 - 2 CE hours
- A Grant Manager’s Guide to Purchase Orders and Invoices – Session 2 (2 part class) - 3 CE hours
- Accounts Receivable for Reportable Projects - Launching in June 2021. Offerings will continued in FY22. 2 CE hours.
- Accounts Receivable for Non-Reportable Projects - Launching in June 2021. Offerings will continued in FY22. 2 CE hours.
- Advanced Effort Management - AGM class that can also be used for CE. 2 CE hours.
- Cost Accounting Standards (CAS) - 2 CE hours.
- Communication Strategies in Research Administration – AGM class that can also be used for CE. 2 CE hours.
- Complex Project Management Pre-Award – AGM class that can also be used for CE. 2 CE hours.
- Complex Project Management Post-Award (2 part class) – AGM class that can also be used for CE. 3.5 CE hours.
- DOCR: Financial Basics for Clinical Research - .5 CE hours.
- DOCR: Industry Funded Clinical Research Process for Contracts - 2 CE hours.
- DOCR: Reading Study Documents From a Financial Perspective
- Employee vs. Independent Contractor - 1.5 CE hours.
- Projection and Reporting Tool for Grant Managers and Business Managers - 2.5 CE hours.
- Sponsored Projects Reporting: Master Data Building Blocks - 2 CE hours
- Sponsored Projects Reporting: Organizatinal "Big Picture" Reports - 2 CE hours
- Sponsored Projects Reporting: Project ITD and Plan - "The Super Report" - ZFR1E (2 part class) - 3 CE hours
- Sponsored Projects Reporting: Line Item Reports - 2 CE hours
Note: this is not an exhaustive list of classes - any one-off classes that will count toward Continuing Education Credit hours will be announced via the Grant Management Community Listserv.
Management Center Updates/Research Administration Community Town Halls:
Managmenet center updates provided by ORA or CRAM and town halls for the entire research adminsitration community will be offered throughout the year. Mangement center specific (MNMC or Campus) updates can count as not more than 25% of the annual CE requirement. Research Adminsitration Communication town halls fall into the Duke specific compliance, systems, and business process training category so there is no limit on CE hours that can be counted during the year.
Details on these types of meetings are communicated through the managment center specific list serves and the grant management community list serve. To be added to the grant managment community list service, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Facilitated discussions of viewed webinars offered by professional organizations will be eligible for CE. Topics and number of CE hours will vary based upon webinar. CE hours will include time spent viewing the webinar and time spent in faciltiated discussion. Opportunities will be listed below as they become available.
- National Conference on College Cost Accounting (NACCA)
- National Organization of Research Development Professionals (NORDP)
Note: these are not all the organizations whose conference attendance may count toward CE credit. Contact OERAF if you have attended a Research Administration related conference and would like for it to count toward your non-Duke continuing education allowable CE hours (no more than 50% of credit annually).