Electronic Accounts Payable Check Request Initiative
Duke Finance is excited to announce an upcoming technology initiative for an online Accounts Payable check request process. This initiative will provide enhanced administrative efficiency across the University and Health System, while also enabling transparency to support workflow tracking, approvals, and corresponding payments initiated from Accounts Payable check requests. The online tool is a result of development and design efforts by our teams in Corporate Accounts Payable, Administrative Systems Management, and Office of Information Technology in partnership with representatives from several University and Health System departments (listed below) who made invaluable contributions to this product. This initiative began in April 2012 as a partnership with our pilot departments who have been assisting with the testing and reviewing the new module as well as participation with implementation strategies.
University and Health System Partners:
- DUHS Corporate Finance
- Duke Clinical Research Institute
- Duke Global Health Institute
- Office of Sponsored Programs
- Provost Finance Office
- School of Medicine Finance Office
- Student Affairs
We would like to take this opportunity to highlight some of the benefits and efficiencies of the online tool:
- Increased processing efficiency
- Online edits to minimize errors, rework, and delay
- Electronic retention of documentation to support the check requests
- Supports the sustainability mission and reduces paper
- Automated workflow with transparency into the status of an A/P Check Request during the approval process
- Prompt payments due to elimination of transitioning paper forms from one office/site to another
- Record the required payment information on an online form
- Assign a unique role to limit the number of staff members who can initiate Accounts Payable check requests
- Scan and attach supporting documentation to the payment request
- Route electronic form and scanned documentation for approval using automatic workflow
- Process payment following Corporate Accounts Payable review and approval
- Documentation stored in the imaging system
- Drill down capability to the documentation from the SAP line item statements
We will be launching the tool for the Advisory team effective April 22, 2013. The Advisory team members agreed for their departments to function as the pilot group for the implementation. The pilot group will use the tool for a few weeks in preparation for the organizational launch of the new tool scheduled for June 3, 2013. The online tool will be introduced to all other departments concurrently.
Additional communications will be distributed later this month to provide training dates for the implementation.
Please take this opportunity to share this exciting announcement with your staff. Additional communications will be distributed to as we approach the implementation for all entities. If you have any questions or need additional information, please contact Corporate Accounts Payable team at APOnlineCheck@duke.edu
We appreciate your partnership and continued support.