Vehicle Insurance

The University self-insures automobile liability exposures on University owned or leased vehicles. This insurance covers claims for bodily injury to third parties or property damage arising out of the ownership, maintenance, or use of those vehicles. Comprehensive and collision coverage is provided on private passenger type vehicles. Fire, theft, and collision insurance are provided on all other types of vehicles.

Reporting a Claim

  1. Report all vehicle accidents to Duke Police at 684-2444 or the appropriate local law enforcement authority.
  2. Notify Corporate Risk Management, even if no claim has been made.

Phone: (919) 684-6226
Fax: (919) 684-6988
E-Mail: corprisk at

  1. Please provide the following information:
    • Date of incident
    • Description of incident and resulting damage
    • Injuries to passengers
    • DU number (owned vehicles)
    • Claimant vehicle’s insurance company and policy number (third party vehicles)
    • Rental agency’s name, address, and phone number (rental vehicle)
  2. If repairs are needed for a University vehicle, contact Corporate Risk Management prior to authorizing any repairs.

Claim Settlement

For private passenger type vehicles:

  • $0 deductible for comprehensive claims
    • Examples of comprehensive claims include fire, theft, and glass claims
  • $500 deductible for collision claims

For all other vehicle types (buses, ambulances, vans, and trucks):

  • Only partial comprehensive coverage is available. Only damage caused by fire and theft is covered.
  • $0 deductible for fire and theft losses
  • $1,000 deductible for collision claims
  • No coverage for glass claims

Other Links of Interest