In lieu of taking a course that has recently been completed (within the past year)  or in which an employee is highly competent, the End of Course Test may be passed with an 80% competency level to secure credit for the FCP course. End of Course Test - Out Options are available for the following courses: Prerequisite Courses: Intro to SAP (online), Windows, Excel. Foundational Courses: Intro to Duke Accounting and Business Processes, Intro to Duke G/L Accounts. If you qualify to test out of a Prerequisite or Foundational Course, you will log onto the Adobe Connect system and find your course. Choose the End of Course Test option. Take the test. You must pass the End of Course test with 80% competency in order to be eligible to pass a class via a Test-Out Exam. If you are able to pass, your transcripts will reflect your class completion.

You will be in danger of losing your Certification status if you do not meet the recertification requirements. Please speak to the Curriculum Leader of your Specialty to make arrangements if you cannot make the update class.

The One Time Test Out option was a one-time only option during the first six months of the FCP for the Certified Payroll Representative and Financial Systems Specialist Tracks. Please contact the Curriculum Leader for more information.

All Specialties may sit for the Certification Exam at the same time. Contact your Curriculum Leader to find out more information about registering for a session. 

A participant who scores above 50% competency but below 80% competency may attempt to take the End of Course Exam a second time without taking the entire course. If you do not pass the exam with 80% competency on the second try, you will need to retake the class.
Classes taken within one year of FCP enrollment may be grandfathered in for credit. You must pass the End of Course exam with 80% competency to gain credit for this class. If you do not pass, you may take the exam one more time. If you still do not pass, you must take the course over.

Your choice of electives should reflect the skills you require for your job responsibilities. If you are unsure of which electives to take, please contact your Curriculum Leader.

You will need to register for the program and then pass the End of Course Exams. If you demonstrate an 80% competency, you will not be required to take the classroom portion again. This applies to the Financial Systems Specialist track, the Certified Payroll Representative track, and the Procure to Pay Specialist track. Please speak to the Curriculum Leader in the area of Specialty you wish to study for more information.

You should schedule an appointment with your Curriculum Leader. Based on your scores and your areas of deficiency, your Curriculum Leader may recommend you retake the exam or direct you toward the courses you need to repeat to boost your knowledge for that particular area.

To become a Certified Payroll Representative, you will be required to attend classes, pass end of course quizzes, and pass the final exam.  You will be give credit for class attendance for one year prior to enrollment in the certificaiton program. 

If you notify your Curriculum Leader 48 hours prior to class, you will be excused. However, if you do not notify your Curriculum Leader at least 48 hours prior to the class, your department will be charged a $100 per class Failure to Attend Charge.

According to Duke's records, the check made payable to you remains uncashed. It is up to you to decide whether or not to have Duke re-issue the check. If you do not respond, the funds will be remitted in your name to the State of your last known address. If, after reissuing the check, Duke determines the original check was issued in error, Duke reserves the right to take means necessary to reclaim the funds.

Depending on the source of the original check, we may be able to provide additional information. You may request additional information by emailing Corporate Tax or calling (919) 919-684-0756. Please be sure to include the check number in your correspondence. The Duke University Corporate Tax Department will contact you as soon as the requested information is available, generally within 3 weeks.

We may reissue a check made payable to the "Estate of" the deceased individual. You must provide a copy of the death certificate of the payee.
If the estate account has been closed, the funds must be remitted to the State as unclaimed property. You may then contact the State of the last known address for the payee (as indicated on the letter), to file a claim. Please contact the State directly or visit their website for instructions on filing a claim and required documentation.
The reissued check must be made payable to the original payee. Duke can mail the check in care of someone else at your request.
The amount would have been included on your W-2 for the year the income was earned, which is generally the same year as the check date. Replacement of the check will not affect your W-2 for the current year.
If the letter you received indicated an October 1st deadline and we receive your response after October 1st, you will need to claim the funds from the State of the last known address.
Duke Auditors, Federal agencies, Department Chairs, Deans and other oversight units utilize these reports for a variety of reasons - planning, assessment, etc. Most specifically, auditors review these documents/records to determine if Duke University is billing grants and contracts according to prescribed rule s and regulations. Effort reporting is a requirement of OMB Circular A-2l, which is the defining Federal principle for grant management. Since we accept Federal funds, we are required to have an effort certification system. Certification records are audited on a routine basis by internal and external auditors.
The report is a certification of how you actually spent your time within a reasonable degree of accuracy. The term "reasonable" is used in Federal regulations but is not defined by OMB; but in any case the certification should reflect what you did over the certification period. It is not just identifying how you were funded. Your funding sources should align very closely with your activities but due to cost-sharing and other issues, they don't always align exactly. Basically the reports should verify that you spent the time allocated to specific awards working on those projects, and also verify what activities you pursued on non-funded activities. In no instance should the result be over 100%.
Although effort certification is a good tool for understanding how faculty are funded, its more critical purpose is to protect Duke University from serious audit risk. Many of our peers (Hopkins, Harvard, Cornell, Northwestern, Penn) have had effort audits that have been very resource consuming. We hope this system supports compliant reporting and provides improved functionality to reduce or mitigate risk.
This activity is often funded via the university allocation/funding source which is often in a cost object that begins with a 1xx or a 4xx. Your Business Manager or designated Effort Coordinator can help in understanding the report.
Our previous system was all paper based and was run from a mainframe; there were significant limitations due to both of these issues. The new system significantly improves the reporting process and provides a more streamlined functionality that will both save time and be more efficient.
Yes, there is a possibility that someone will want to better understand your effort. In recent audits,auditors have reviewed Blackberries, appointment books, etc. to check the reasonableness of the effort allocation. RCC has developed a list of questions that are asked of faculty during audit processes at other universities. These tend to be fairly invasive in their tone and objective. With regard to liability, there is rarely ever any "personal liability" if an effort statement was certified unintentionally incorrect; however there have been instances where institutions and faculty were held accountable for intentional misrepresentations as these can be considered a false claims against the Federal government.
Most likely, you have been set up as "Proxy" for another Certifier, who did not complete his or her Effort Card. Check the Effort Lifecycle Wheel to see if you have the "Complete Proxy Certification" link at the bottom of the wheel.
ECRT will allow you a variance of .9% and still not require a payroll form. Thus, you can certify from 99.1% through 100.9% and not require an iForm. The reason for the differences in percentages between iForms and ECRT is that iForms are submitted to the payroll using percentages (100%). The data loaded to ECRT is in payroll dollars. ECRT then converts the dollars to percentages.
Before the Certify button appears, ECRT requires that a Primary Effort Coordinator be assigned to the BFR/department. If you encounter this problem, please send an email to ECRT-Support with your DUID number and BFR number, if you know it.
Before ECRT will allow you to certify your effort, you must be assigned the role of Certifier. If you encounter this problem, please send an email to ECRT-Support with your DUID number.
If you answer yes to any one of the four questions below, you must certify your effort through ECRT.
  1. Is the effort charged to a Restricted Cost Object (a seven-digit Cost Object beginning with 3xx or 2xx)? Note: This question does NOT include or apply to Restricted Cost Objects beginning with 391 or 399.
  2. Is the effort charged to 600200 G/L Accounts (for effort supporting Duke Health System)?
  3. Are the second and third positions of the seven-digit Cost Object different for all the Cost Objects to which the base salary effort was charged (i.e., NOT the same for all Cost Objects to which the base salary effort was charged)? Note: This question does not include or apply to Cost Objects beginning with 8xx.
  4. Is Tuition Remission paid to the person?
You must be a current Duke employee to access ECRT. Please send an email to ECRT-Support with your DUID number. The Office of Sponsored Projects (OSP) will contact the appropriate Primary Effort Coordinator so that a Proxy can be assigned to certify your effort.
No. As soon as the Certifier finishes certifying his or her effort, ECRT immediately sends the Effort Card(s) to the Manage Task of the Primary Effort Coordinator for processing. After the Manage Task has been assigned, ECRT will NOT reassign it to another Effort Coordinator.
The term "personal services" is not defined. However, income is generally derived in two ways: selling a product or providing a service. "Personal services" compensation is any compensation paid for providing a service. For purposes of the 4% withholding, the personal services subject to withholding are limited to personal services in connection with a performance, an entertainment or athletic event, a speech, or the creation of a film, radio, or television program.
Any speech that amuses, entertains, or informs is subject to the withholding requirement. This includes instructors at seminars that are open to the public for an admission fee or are for continuing education.
The term "foreign" means a limited liability company, partnership, or corporation formed under the laws of any jurisdiction other than North Carolina.
Corporations and limited liability companies that receive a Certificate of Authority from the Secretary of State are also issued an identification number. This number is different than the business's federal employer identification number. The payer should request that the contractor provide the identification number issued by the Secretary of State and maintain that number in its records. For partnerships, the venue should request that the partnership provide its federal identification number and its North Carolina address and maintain that information in its records.
The payer should obtain from the contractor a copy of the contractor's federal determination letter of tax exemption or a letter of tax exemption from the Department of Revenue and maintain that information in its records.
The payer should obtain the individual's North Carolina address and social security number and maintain that information in its records.
No. The only exceptions to withholding are those identified in the Exceptions to Withholding section of Directive PD-98-3. A contractor that qualifies for one of the exceptions to withholding is still subject to North Carolina income tax on the compensation received for services performed in North Carolina and must file the appropriate North Carolina income tax return to report the compensation.
No. Any excess withholding will be refunded upon the filing of an income tax return showing an overpayment of tax.