The last four digits of the JV Reference number identify the department responsible. Refer to the assigned JV list to determine the contact name and phone number. If the JV was posted prior to October 2002, and the last four digits of the Reference number are higher then 1400, contact Accounting Systems Administration at 919-684-2752 for more information.
You can post to the closing period until noon on the third business day after the last day of the period (Day +3).  After that time, only those with CLS3 access can post until approximately 2PM on Day +5.  The next fiscal period is open during this time so please be sure to check the period and posting date on any JVs or uploads you submit during this time.

Note: The exception to this rule is year end. Please refer to the fiscal calendar for more information on the year-end deadline. 


GAP 200.135, Procurement Overview will give you guidelines on which procurement method to use. GAP 200.024, Corporate Card Purchases provides guidelines on corporate card usage. The Corporate Card Manual is also available on the web.

If when trying to login to Kerberos (Authentic Login) you get the message password incorrect, first make sure your caps lock button is not on. Passwords are case sensitive and must be typed in lower case. If you still get the password incorrect message, call the help desk and ask to have your password reset: OIT Help Desk: 919-684-2200 DHTS Help Desk: 919-684-2243
The reference number on your financial report will determine the appropriate department to call. If the reference number starts with: 1) “DC” - contact the Bursars Office at 919-684-3531, 2) “IC” - contact Employee Travel & Reimbursement at 919-668-3877) “JV” – refer to the Assigned JV List.
If you are looking for information on any JV dated prior to October 2002 and the reference number is higher than 1400, contact Accounting Systems Administration at 919-684-2752.  
If you are missing a copy of a vendor invoice, contact Accounts Payable at 919-684-3112.

For the University: To close a restricted cost object (3xx), the department must submit written request to the Office of Sponsored Programs. To close a non-restricted cost object, the department must indicate the closing on a cost object request form and submit the form to their Management Center (ex: Provost or Medical Center) for approval. For the Health System: To close a WBS element the department must submit a request to the Financial Planning and Analysis department. Questions regarding these requests should be directed to them at 416-6839. To close a cost/profit center the department must submit a request to the General Accounting and Financial Reporting Office. Questions regarding these requests should be directed to them at 286-6350.

Once it has been determined that a separate and specific accounting is required for an activity, each department has a central finance area where each code is approved. For the University:
  • All restricted cost objects (3xx) are sent to the Medical Center Grants & Contacts (for the Medical Center) or Office of Research Support (for other University areas).
  • All unrestricted budgeted cost objects (1xx) requests are forwarded to the Budget Office of your Management Center (ex: Provost or Medical Center) for approval.
  • For all remaining cost objects: Medical Center departments send the request to the Medical Center Finance and Resource Planning Office. The University's schools and academic departments go through the Provost Office.
For Duke Hospital or Health System:
  • WBS elements: The department must submit a request to Financial Planning and Analysis. If you have questions about submitting this request, contact them at 416-6851.
  • Cost/profit center: The department must submit a request to General Accounting and Financial Reporting. If you have questions about submitting this request, contact them at 286-6350.
The Salary Setting Transaction in SAP is used to set individual salaries for Faculty, Exempt (Monthly) Staff, and Non-Exempt (Biweekly) employees. SAP Salary Setting provides direct setting of employee rates for July 1 salary increases and should reduce the volume of Staff Change (PCN) forms. In addition to being fully integrated with the SAP HR-Payroll system, it offers an array of reporting and data entry capabilities. Security with the Salary Setting Transaction is identical to that of the Accounting View of Payroll report in SAP.

Salaries are approved based upon approval levels. There are up to four levels of approval permitted in Salary Setting. Levels 3 and 4 are reserved.

  • Level 4 Ready for loading to Payroll for July 1 (University Budget Office)
  • Level 3 Management Center review (Provost, Central Administration, Medical School)
  • Level 2 Level below Management Center
  • Level 1 Initial level for entry

Refer to Salary Setting and Approvals for more information.

Please call your Management Center:

Management Center Contact Office Phone
Central Administration University Budget Office 919-684-5804
Provost Management Center Academic Budget Office 919-684-3501
School of Medicine SOM Finance 919-681-8225

Current fringe benefit rates can be found on the Financial Services Reports & Documents page.

Go to the online form to change your listing. You will need your Duke Unique ID to make any changes.

Employees and students hired as employees may complete a form online at Duke@Work.  The form is located under the My Info tab in the My Pay section of the page.  Please note that Foreign National employees who do not have a valid US Social Security Number are not eligible for direct deposit, and students paid on the non-compensatory payroll must update bank account information in the Duke Student Hub. 

The system will auto-populate a "Valid From" date.  Direct deposit will be effective for any payroll processed after that date.  

Yes. You can have direct deposit for a checking or saving accounts for a finanicial insitution in the continential US.  Visit Duke@Work to set up the account. 

No.  A student, who receives both compensatory and non-compensatory payments from Duke, has two separate records in the payroll system.  Use Duke@Work to establish/change direct deposit for the compensatory (25th of each month) payment and use the Duke Student Hub to establish/change direct deposit for the non-compensatory (last day of the month) payment.  

All cancellations of direct deposit must be submitted on a Direct Deposit Authorization form.  Please note that this form cannot be emailed or faxed but can be uploaded to the Payroll Strongbox.  Original signatures are required.  

Section II of the Direct Deposit Authorization Form has an option to cancel your Direct Deposit. You need only fill out Sections I, II, and IV for Corporate Payroll Services to process your request.

Employees must enter their new banking information at Duke@Work or students receiving non-compensatory payments must submit new account information via the Duke Student Hub.  Employees and students are encouraged to wait to close the old account until their first payment is deposited in the new account. Closing your old account before the change has taken place may delay the receipt of payment. 

In this situation, funds were likely sent to the closed account. If the new account is with the same financial institution as the closed account, contact the financial institution, as they may be willing to transfer funds into the new account. If a funds transfer is not possible, the funds will be returned to Duke by the financial institution. Once funds are returned, Corporate Payroll Services will issue an off-cycle payment on the Friday of the week after receipt of funds. To avoid a delay in payment due to a direct deposit change, it is recommended that the old account remain open until the first deposit is received in the new account. If you have additional questions, contact Corporate Payroll Services at 919-684-2642.

As long as you have not made changes to your direct deposit account, funds have been sent to your bank. Call your bank and ask to speak with someone in the "ACH" department. They will be able to tell you if there were any problems in depositing your money into your account.  If you did make a change or cancel your direct deposit, contact your department payroll representative. 

Students and Duke Temporary Services employees can be placed in over-allocated positions.  People in over-allocated positions can have the same SAP position number as another employee.  Keep in mind that employees in the same position must have the same approvers when using the electronic time reporting system. 

Yes. However, the default code cannot be a WBS Element.

The default cost center will be a departmental cost center. Grant codes cannot be used as the default code.

Yes, but the address needs to be changed as soon the permanent address is established.  Use the Personal Data Change iForm to make the change.  Or, ask the employee to logon to Duke@Work and make the change there.

Yes but the address should be changed as soon as the permanent local address is established.  In addition, Corporate Payroll Services needs both the local address and the foreign address.  The local address should be recorded on the Hire form, and the foreign address should be recorded on the Foreign National form.

No.  The vacation balance will continue to display, even though no additional accruals are applied.

No. The reports you receive will have the gross pay information on them.

A list of abbreviations (wage types) and their meanings can be found on the Reference Material page of this site.

These hours will show only for Biweekly employees.

The SAP pay period for employees paid biweekly will be Period 17 of the 1-26 periods, and the pay period for employees paid monthly will be Period 8 of the 1-12 periods. You may reference the Duke University payroll schedule posted on the Corporate Payroll Website or the individual payroll schedule cards to determine the SAP pay period.

Overtime reports are accessed online through the SAP transaction ZH409.  The online report allows you to sort the reports according to your preferences. 

Vacation and sick leave reports can be accessed online through the SAP transaction ZHTIMEOFF for Company 10 departments. 

Yes.  The Gross Pay report is accessed online through the SAP transaction ZHGROSSPAY and shows all components of gross pay including premiums. 

Duke Unique ID numbers can be found on the DukeHub for Duke students, on the back of name badges for employees, in the Time & Attendance system for Health System employees, and on the employee's Profile Summary accessed on the My Profile page of Duke@Work

Company 10 departments must provide a service type/service category for any transactions that request this information.  For DUHS companies, the service type/service category is defined by the wage being paid; therefore, departments are not required to provide it at the transactional level.  

Pay periods and pay dates for biweekly and monthly employees on the Corporate Payroll website. 

The Federal and NC State exemptions are printed on the top line of the check stub under the heading "Exemptions." The Payroll Staff is not authorized to give tax advice; therefore, employees should contact their individual accountants regarding this information.

Retroactive pay adjustments impose significant costs to the University and Health System in terms of money, employee relations, and administrative time. Therefore, the current policy states that retroactive pay adjustments are no longer permissible. However, there are occasionally compelling business reasons for permitting retroactive pay adjustments. These exceptions to policy will be handled on an individual basis, and will require the approval of one of the officers or designees. Based on the retroactive pay policy established by the Senior Leadership Team, these are the authorized approvers for each entity:

Central Administration: Tallman Trask III, Tim Walsh
Provost: Sally Kornbluth, Jim Roberts, Kim Harris

Duke University Hospital: Kevin W. Sowers
Duke Regional Hospital: Katie Galbraith
Duke Raleigh Hospital: David Zaas
DUHS Finance and PRMO: Kenneth C. Morris
Corporate Services: Scott Gibson
All Other DUHS Entities: Kenneth C. Morris

School of Medicine, School of Nursing, & DCRI: Scott Gibson

No.  Since the classes comprising the certification are new, a test-out option is not available.  Pariticipants will be given for credit class attendance dating back to August of 2009.