Moving & Relocation

Under certain conditions and with appropriate approval, Duke departments/schools may reimburse a new employee for moving costs. The reimbursement of these costs may be taxable income to the new employee depending on whether the expenses are determined to be "Qualified" or "Non-qualified" moving expenses per IRS (Internal Revenue Service) regulations. Payment of moving expenses is issued by Corporate Payroll Services in the employee's next regularly scheduled payroll payment. New employees must be set up in the payroll system in order to receive reimbursement for relocation expenses. Refer to the GAP 200.027, Expense Reports – General Guidelines and Procedures for guidelines on how to pay.