Financial Services Training Opportunities
Financial Services is committed to providing excellent support to those working with financial information at Duke. As part of this commitment, Financial Services offers an array of training and learning opportunities. These opportunities are offered with the goals of helping those in administrative roles:
- confidently perform their jobs
- make informed decisions in support of their business processes
- follow the fiduciary controls per Duke’s general accounting procedures
- stay compliant with federal guidelines and regulations
Specifically, the training opportunities offered by Financial Services strive to help you:
- Understand the accounting and operational procedures pertaining to financial processes
- Perform basic operational transactions, like making purchases, completing Expense Reports and processing Journal Entries / Vouchers
- Use administrative systems and tools available for reporting, decision-making, sponsored research and compliance, and monitoring/tracking of activity
- Build expertise by becoming certified in various process-related curriculums
- Transition as processes change, systems are enhanced, and new tools are developed
- Know where to get help when needed
Several departments in Financial Services partner to offer training, including on-line courses, lecture-based classroom instruction, large group presentations and updates, computer-based hands-on instruction, webinars, reference materials, and specialized group and project training. The training offered by departments is summarized below.
Accounting Systems Administration provides the basic understanding of our accounting processes and procedures... more...
- Introduction to Duke Accounting (for University and Health System accounting)
- Duke General Ledger Accounts
- Financial Certification Program for Financial Systems Specialist (FSS)
In partnership with the functional departments in Financial Services, this team provides a range of basic to advanced understanding of our administrative systems and processes... more...
- SAP enterprise system: To learn about financial tools available in SAP for University and Health System reports, sponsored projects, journal entry transactions, reconciliation and document research, requisition processing (Health System), and salary setting
- Sponsored research advanced topics: To learn about tools like the Faculty Projection & Reporting Tool and advanced ways to use reports for Sponsored Projects
- SAP Business Warehouse system: To understand how to use the robust data warehouse type of reporting for the University by BFR Code
- Duke@WORK: To use portal-based tools like Buy@Duke and Accounts Payable Online Check Requests for purchasing; Expense Reports for processing employee travel, non-travel, and corporate card expenses; and iForms, Time and Attendance, and Time Reporting for HR / Payroll processing.
- Purchasing and Accounts Payable Process: To understand how to make a purchase, how to research invoice payments, and the Goods Receipt process
- Payroll Process: To provide training on payroll processes and current information through Department Payroll Representative Updates and Business Manager Updates
- Financial Certification Programs: To build expertise and become certified in programs like the Certified Payroll Specialist (CPS), Procure to Pay Specialist (PPS) & Certified Financial Manager (CFM)
- Budget system and process for the University
- Specialized training: To introduce any new administrative systems or financial processes or changes to existing systems and processes
- Customized training: To support specific training needs based on departmental requests
These two departments offer a wide variety of training programs, classes, and support resources to assist those involved with the grants management process and compliance... more...
- Research Administration Academy (RAA)
- Advanced Grant Management Certificate Program (AGM)
- Research Administration Symposium
- Effort Reporting (ECRT system)
- Certified Research Administrator Exam Prep Study Group (CRA Study Group)
Plant Accounting provides reference materials for the Web Central application used for space planning and management... more...
- Web Central
Training By Topic
|Target Audience:||This handout provide EdTrack Managers the following information: Class Registration via EdTrack, To Withdraw from a scheduled class that is NOT LIMITED, Employee Transcript Report – Allows the employee to run their own education report, Supervisor Employee Transcript, Employee Education Completion Report – best used to check a specific course attendance, Custom Pooled Reports, Life Support Report, Certification Report – see steps for Life Support report, Pooled Courses without Expiration Dates Report – see steps for Life Support report, Exporting to Excel, Schedule a class, See if the class already exists, Create a new class, Add a Classroom, Add an instructor, Add employees to existing class, Transaction Entry (committing a class), To enter a degree or certification, Adding a License, Update a License|
|Format:||Manual or Guide|
View Manual (pdf)
| Top |