Setting Up Printing Capabilities in SAP
First, Establish the Default Printer
- Run the transaction SU3.
- Click on the Defaults tab.
- Enter LOCL in the OutputDevice field.
- Click on the Save icon to retain the new setting.
Then, Print from SAP
- Click on the Print icon.
- If you wish to print at this point, verify that Time of print is set to Print immediately. If you wish to print later, set Time of print to Send to SAP Spooler Only for Now.
NOTE: If the report will RUN as a background job, the “Time of print” should be changed to “Send to SAP Spooler Only for Now.” The Addendum section explains this in more detail.
- Click on the Continue button.
- If you selected Print out Immediately, a new window will confirm your default printer.
- If you wish to use the default printer, click OK.
- You may select any of the other printers that are
visible locally to your PC or Macintosh desktop. To select another
printer, click on it in the Name list. Then click OK.
NOTE: This will not change your computer’s default printer for subsequent uses.
Please note that the LOCL print device will generate formatted output, based on HPLJ4 device type, just as with any other IP print devices we have defined on the system with the following exception. Since LOCL uses the SAPgui connection, it will not work with background jobs if “Time of print” option is set to “Print out immediately,” as background jobs are not tied to a SAPgui connection. Consequently, “Time of print” should be set to “Send to SAP Spooler Only For Now.” The resulting spooled output can then be printed at a future time using SAPgui.