Education & Training Programs
Duke offers a wide variety of training programs, classes and support resources to assist those involved with the grant management process. You may view the Research Compliance & Reporting list of training or various Research related, upcoming training and information below.
RCC Course Catalog (pdf)
RCC Training Tracker
Check your completed training on the RCC Training Tracker. Please note that it is updated monthly with current training data.
Assessments Added to All RCC Classes
Starting September 1, 2012, all Research Costing Compliance (RCC) classes will require that attendees pass a brief assessment with a score of at least 80% in order to receive continuing education credit. This includes the mandatory Management of Selected Post Award Issues class, all FasTrack classes, and all AGM classes (for AGM program participants and for continuing education credit). After attending a class, attendees will receive an e-mail from RCC with instructions for completing an evaluation of the class and an assessment. Quarterly meetings and other training opportunities offered by other central offices that provide continuing education credit will continue to offer continuing education credit based on your attendance only.
Current Training Opportunities
(Updated as of 4/3/14)
Continuing Education Reminder:
IMPORTANT TRAINING ANNOUNCEMENT:
Research Costing Compliance (RCC) is transitioning our training to the Duke Learning Management System (LMS). Registration for most RCC classes will now be in the LMS. The links below for the RCC-led classes will link you to the LMS registration page for that course offering (or class time). To assist you with using the Duke LMS to search and register for RCC classes, a RCC Course Catalog is available on the RCC website.
You can search the LMS catalog using the “Research Administration” category under advanced search. This will populate all available classes related to research administration.
RCC is currently in the process of transferring all of your previously completed training into the Duke LMS. However, this process will take some time to complete. Please continue to use the RCC Training Tracker to view your completed training until notified that all training records have been moved to the LMS.
Additional training on using the LMS is found online.
For all certified Grant Managers: You must earn five credits throughout the fiscal year (7/1/13 – 6/30/14), one of which must be 2014 Management of Selected Post Award Issues. Please check your completed training on the RCC Training Tracker. Please note that it is updated monthly with current training data. All questions/concerns regarding RCC training or continuing education credits should be submitted to rcc-certduke.edu. Please do not submit inquiries to individual RCC staff. Read more.
FY14 Available Classes
- *FY14 Management of Selected Post Award Issues – April 24, 2014, May 8, 2014, June 4, 2014, and June 19, 2014
(The intended audience for these courses includes those who are new to research administration or new to the pre-award or post-award functions of research administration.)
- Introduction to Research Administration – May 28, 2014
(The Intro. to Research Administration course does not count towards RCC continuing education credit for maintaining the RCC, RAA, AGM or RAI certifications.)
- *Pre-Award Fundamentals – June 5, 2014
Continuing Education/Elective Classes:
- *Post-Award Fundamentals – April 17, 2014, and June 11, 2014
- *Regulatory Environment: The Circulars – June 10, 2014
- *Award Setup (formerly Establishing a Funded Project) – May 13, 2014
- *Reconciliation of Sponsored Projects – May 22, 2014
- *Making Adjustments to Sponsored Projects – April 15, 2014, and June 12, 2014
- *Post Award Effort Management – April 29, 2014, and June 17, 2014
- *Steps in Closeout – May 1, 2014
- *Introduction to Export Controls – June 18, 2014
- *Export Controls: Advanced Grant Management Workshop– April 22, 2014, August 21, 2014, and October 22, 2014
- *ORA Grants and Contracts GC101 – April 23, 2014, July 22, 2014, and October 28, 2014
- *ORA Grants and Contracts GC201 – April 24, 2014, July 23, 2014, and October 29, 2014
- *Sponsored Projects System (SPS) – May 6, 2014, and June 3, 2014
- *ORA eSubmissions – May 14, 2014, August 13, 2014, and November 13, 2014
- *ORA NIH RPPR – May 13, 2014, August 12, 2014 and November 12, 2014
- *ORA Other Support – April 16, 2014, July 16, 2014, and October 14, 2014
- *MOUs, IPAs, PSAs – September 25, 2014
- *ORA Quarterly Research Administrators Meeting – April 17, 2014
Other Duke Training Opportunities:
- Office of Sponsored Programs (OSP):
- Effort Coordinator Base Training – May 22, 2014
- Effort Coordinator Quarterly Review – June 9, 2014, and June 11, 2014
- SAP and University Reporting:
(Although they do not qualify for continuing education credits, these classes will be of interest to entry-level grant managers)
- Introduction to SAP @ Duke – Online
- SAP University Reporting: Sponsored Projects – April 16, 2014, May 13, 2014, June 10, 2014, July 15, 2014, August 5, 2014, September 16, 2014, October 14, 2014, November 6, 2014, and December 9, 2014
- Introduction to Duke Accounting and Business Practice – May 8, 2014, June 12, 2014, July 10, 2014, August 7, 2014 September 9, 2014, October 9, 2014, November 13, 2014, and December 9, 2014
- Introduction to Duke G/L Accounts – April 15, 2014, May 15, 2014, June 19, 2014, July 17, 2014, August 14, 2014, September 16, 2014, October 16, 2014, November 18, 2014, and December 18, 2014
- 56th Annual Meeting – August 10-13, 2014 in Washington, DC
- SRA International Annual Meeting – October 18-22, 2014 in San Diego, CA
- National Organization of Research Development Professionals (NORDP)
- 6th Annual Research Development Conference – May 19-21, 2014 in Portland, OR
*These classes qualify for continuing education credits for RCC certifications.