Corporate Risk Management
Corporate Risk Management works to ensure the safety of the people and assets of Duke University, guarding them from risk of injury or financial loss.
The Corporate Risk Management Office manages the various insurance programs for the University, including property insurance, general liability insurance, and automobile insurance. As part of the overall goal to safeguard the resources of the University, Corporate Risk Management also works in partnership with Campus Police, the Occupational and Environmental Safety Office and the University Counsels' Office to evaluate potential hazards.
The Corporate Risk Management Office is responsible for the following functions:
- Develop and implement overall Risk Management strategies
- Educate the University and Duke University Health System community regarding potential sources of risk
- Provide risk assessment for special events, such as student festivals and charity functions
- Confer with Counsel’s Office about settlement of claims and contract negotiations
- Serve as liaison with Occupational & Environmental Safety Office, Duke Police, and University Counsel’s Office to identify potential hazards
- Establish levels of self-insurance and limits of commercial insurance
- Negotiate and obtain insurance from financially sound insurers acceptable to the University
- Investigate and adjust property and casualty claims
- Review independent contractor insurance requirements to ensure adequate insurance coverages are in place
- Issue Certificates of Insurance